Skip to main content

Review: Mist On Water by Shea Berkley


Mist On Water
Author: Shea Berkley
Release: July 13th 2015
Source: I received a copy via Xpresso book tours in exchange for an honest review
Genre: Fantasy, Historical, YA
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Website: http://www.sheaberkley.com/




Long ago, in a far off land, there rose a tale as old as the earth. As long as Ryne can remember, his parents told him to beware the nix in the lake. From the day he was born, the tale of the nix and how she demanded Ryne as her prize for setting his captured father free has defined Ryne's life. No matter what he does, he can't shed its curse...in every one's eyes, Ryne is doomed to die. Nari is the only one who befriends Ryne, and loves him without fear despite the villagers' relentless jeers. But when Ryne disappears beneath the cold waters of the lake, everyone believes he's dead. Everyone except Nari. Now it's up to Nari to defy her family, her village and the legend of the nix to bring Ryne back from his watery prison or they'll both be lost. Forever.

My thoughts of this YA Historical Fantasy...

Have you ever started a book, but almost stopped? This was Mist On Water for me. In fact, I put off reading this, I wished I would have picked it up sooner! Boy am I glad I kept on and decided to trudge through! This is the type of book that just keeps on getting better and better the further you journey throughout the story, reminding me of a fine wine!


This story is written into three parts. Part one is Ryne's POV, which I'll admit that I usually have a hard time with a guy's POV because I have trouble connecting with the protagonist.  However, it was a refreshing change of pace to read a book with a guy's POV. Part two is the nix's POV. I must say, Shea Berkley did an amazing job helping the reader see the Nix's take on things. Believe it or not, I actually felt for her during a few parts! Part three is Nari's POV, which was my favorite!


The nix is ruthless. She waits until Ryne finds his one true love, then right before they can have their happily ever after she steals him away in the lake. Like I said above, the author Shea Berkley did an amazing job letting us see into the mind of the nix. While I don’t agree with her ruthlessness, I did get to understand her reasons behind her actions.


Nari is the kind of character that little girls want to be like when they grow up! She's tough, brave and doesn't take crap from anyone! I really admired Nari throughout the story, she doesn’t care what other’s think of her. Nari is one of the most loyal characters I have ever met, her love for Ryne was beautifully powerful. Here’s a quote from Nari that I thought was absolutely beautiful.


"I could not remember my life before Ryne. The moment I met him was the moment my life truly began.”


Throughout the story we get to feel Ryne and Nari’s struggle with good and evil and the power of true love. Overall it’s a great fairytale retelling! Oh and I must mention, one of my favorite elements are included in this book, a happily ever after!



Comments

  1. I'm glad this one got better for you! BTW I nominated you for an award. :) http://angelerin.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-encouraging-thunder-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angel! Thanks so much for nominating me, I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds great! I hope, I find this book here in Germany, too =)

    Love, Héloise
    Et Omnia Vanitas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Héloise, I'm not sure if Mist On Water is available in Germany, but I hope so! Happy reading! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Recent Posts...

Short & Sweet Review
{Regency Romance}
The Importance of Being Scandalous
by Kimberly Bell

Waiting On Wednesday
The Duchess Deal
(Girl Meets Duke #1)
by Tessa Dare